Thursday, March 11, 2010

No Context Theatre Presents:

A lament for my Pony

Oh God of infinite wisdom and mercy
who made the heaven and the earth
and filled it with adorable
and delicious
creatures of meat and hair.

I question not your actions,
for surely, they are right
I question not your methods,
for surely, they have meaning
I question not your intent,
for surely, you are loving

I know that I shall live, as we all do,
and every living thing under the sun
to the existence of the very rocks and stars
Only as long as we amuse you.
But in this life, brief and pointless as it might be,
but for worshiping you,
Why did you let my pony die?

My one earthly joy
that brought me closer to peace
My one corporeal friend
whose warmth and companionship reminded me of you
My one mode of transport
as walking is difficult with this bum leg since my last pony exploded but,
I'm sure you had a good reason for that too.

You do things I cannot understand
For my mind could not encompass your meaning
The ways of the world are a mystery to me
and I must live in wonder
I must trust that you will care for me always
for you know me
You know my weakness, my frailty, my affinity for hyperbole.

People were jealous of my pony
her eyes a sparkling brook at twilight
her hair a field of ripe grainstalks
her temperment gentle as the first of June
Her strength as the storms of September

Please smite my enemies who caused her pain
who fed her too much candy
who caused her to run amuck
who left the gate open
who let her get away

I know that you have a plan for me
and a plan for them
Let me be around to see it
that I may know that you are mighty and just

I miss my pony terribly
my cart is very heavy
I know that you will set things right
that you will ease my burdens and fill me with joy

And when you have answered my prayers I will profess
your love from the highest mountains
when wrongs have been righted I will shout
your justice in the village square
when my pleas have been heard I will sing
your mercy to the wicked and goodly
When you have made my life livable again I will declare
that my Lord has given me, a pony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, Nelly.

Processing, processing...